Irish Sign Language Pilot Voucher Scheme
The Citizens Information Board (CIB) and the Sign Language Interpreting Service (SLIS) would like to announce the launch of the pilot project for the Voucher Scheme for users of Irish Sign Language to access free ISL/English interpreting for social, educational and cultural events and services (including medical) and other activities.
The pilot Voucher Scheme is scheduled to run for three months from 30 June 2021 to 30 September 2021.
Guidelines on how users can access the scheme are available on https://slis.ie/voucher/. Users can also contact SLIS by:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text 087 980 6996
- ISL video message to: email@example.com
- Post to: Voucher requests, SLIS, Deaf Village Ireland, Ratoath Road, Cabra, Dublin 7
The commencement of the pilot project is an important step in progressing with the enactment of the Section 9 Irish Sign Language (ISL) Act 2017 which commenced in December 2020. CIB will complete an evaluation of the pilot voucher project and this will inform the future development of the guidelines for the Voucher scheme.
Irish Sign Language (ISL) Act 2017 Section 9.
Support for access to events, services and activities for users of Irish Sign Language
9. (1) The Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection may, with the consent of the Minster for Public Expenditure and Reform, out of moneys provided by the Oireachtas, provide funds to facilitate users of Irish Sign Language with regard to support in relation to access to social, educational and cultural events and services (including medical) and other activities by such users as specified in guidelines made by that Minister of the Government.
9. (2) Guidelines under this section shall specify the events, services and activities to which the guidelines apply and shall make provision regarding the management and delivery of the support in relation to access to those events, services or activities by users of Irish Sign Language.